View Single Post
      08-14-2009, 10:56 AM   #45
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
Does a £10k watch tell the time BETTER than a £50 one? No. And it needs constant "servicing."

Does a £40k car go faster, brake better, protect it's passengers better than, last longer than, often retain it's value better than a £2k one? Yes it does.

A £3k Rolex may use better parts than a £1k Longines- but a Casio will still kick both of it's butts for accuracy and reliability. And if it does break (unlikey - one of my G Shocks has lasted 12 years and has been horribly abused), then buy another.

The status part of BMWs is why I haven't had one until very recently - it totally put me off. I'm learning to live with it but it still makes me cringe - we bought the car because it's good. If a Skoda could do the same job, we'd have one of those instead.

Trust me - I have friends and relatives with serious money - none have a flashy watch. In fact the only wealthy person I know with one made his fortune from selling high end antique jewellery - so that's not a bad excuse.

It just seems that those with proper money don't feel the need to flash it - and nowhere is that more so than down here in Cornwall. And to me a flash watch, which performs no better than a cheapo one, is the embodiment of trying to shout about wealth. If you absolutely must have one, then why not try a subtle model like something low key from Patek Phillipe or similar? Because then I guess people might not notice it... It's a bit like spending thousands on a mechanical food blender - when an electric one does the job ten times better.

Xenon - it seems I have an ally. One that know his tyre sizes too!
Appreciate 0