02-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #1421
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
Oh Man! I'm just spending inordinate amounts of time looking at watches, and saving money. I've opened my search horizons, now considering almost any style, and hand wound models too. Then there's my evil deep thoughts of dropping stupid amounts of money on a real tourbillon watch. That's a hard one though, spending more on a watch than my car cost, and also getting into dress style watches, when I'm a jeans and T-shirt kind of guy.

I'm kind of breaking my searches into categories. One is my big purchase, probably around 10 grand. Then there's others I'm looking at in the $1500-$3000 range that are very cool.
The less expensive might be an impulse buy, while the expensive one will be researched and saved for, hopefully bought around my B-day in April.
I sort of approach them the same way. the 1-3k are in abundance on the market. They can sort of be considered on the higher end of the fashion watches.

If you're serious about a tourbillon, do lots of research on them and see if the movement really makes sense for you. Some see them as an investment, and some see then as a non-necessity. This is why I jumped on the cheap Chinese one, it was justifiable to me. Anything more then a few grand for one would have been too much for me. I would rather spend that sort of cash on something like a minute repeater and other complications, but I'd still have a very hard time putting that kind of money into something that doesn't serve a purpose other then time. And this is coming from someone who lives and Canada and Owns a boat.... Can't use it for most of the year
Appreciate 0