View Single Post
      10-27-2010, 02:39 PM   #47
iflyjetzzz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
If you like to do light maintenance work, I'll assume you have a decent set of tools. Why not just get a BMW scan tool that interfaces with the computer modules in the car, and register the battery when the time comes to replace it? It would be a lot less expensive than loosing so much depreciation on your BMW. Also, I don't understand the logic of buying a Porsche knowing that it is a huge maintenance beast, but selling a BMW because you didn't know it was such a maintenance beast. And if you can afford a Cayman or 911, what in the hell is so burdensome about paying an independent mechanic a few bucks to register a new battery?
I will get a BMW scan tool. 'Registering' a battery is not intuitive. Just look at how much debate there is on this board as to the necessity of registering one.
As far as depreciation on my car, I bought a 2008 328i w/40K miles a couple of months ago. A comparable 2011 would sticker for ~$48K; I paid $22.9K. The car will depreciate over the next year whether I sell it or keep it.
As far as buying a Porsche over BMW, I was under the impression that the BMW was a reliable car that wouldn't cost an arm & leg in maintenance costs. If I've got to spend a bunch of money for maintenance ($384 for a stinkin' battery), I'd rather be driving a Porsche. My standard joke (as a former Porsche owner) is that the price of the car is a down payment; your monthly payments are in parts and labor. And BMWs don't hold a candle to Porsches as far as drivability.

But I think that you're missing the larger point that I was trying to make. Why would you even build a car that requires the battery to be registered? I've never heard of such a thing until I started reading this board. As far as I can tell from a google search, BMW is the only company that requires batteries to be registered.

That said, Porsches also have their idiosyncracies. For instance, if your battery's dead on the Cayman, you can't open the hood without jury rigging a power supply to it. http://www.mademan.com/mm/how-open-p...t-battery.html
Painful. But it's a great driver's car.
Appreciate 0