07 335  [0.00]
07 335  [0.00]
07 335  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
20007 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by STE92VE View Post
Had to pay a visit to the service department to get NYS Safety inspection on new E92. South Carolina won't inspect a car that's not registered in the state.

Anyway, I am resigned to change the oil after break-in and asked how much does an oil change cost at the dealer. $130 including tax. I immediately proceeded to the parts counter and asked for oil and filter for my car, 2007 E92 328i. I knew what I was supposed to get and was glad the counterman knew also! 7qts BMW Synthetic 5w-30 & filter: total w/tax came to $54.10.

One of the valets saw me carrying the case of oil and asked why I bought it. I told him I plan on changing oil myself after break-in. He proceeded to tell me that's not necessary, the oil is good for 25,000 miles but BMW recommends 15,000, they know what's best for your car. I told him thanks, but I know what's best for my car too! Now this is the kicker....he told me that any service done on the car other than by BMW may void the warrantee. I said that's OK and wished him a good day! I wonder if he works on commission..

Some points to keep in mind when changing your oil:

1-Don't leave the key fob in the slot. I'm not 100% on this, but I heard of someone who did this and oil went all over the place when he opened the filter housing. Seems that having the key fob in the slot wakes up the car and starts all kinds of things including oil pump....again not 100% on this, but why take a chance.

2-Don't open the filter housing until you have opened the drain plug. The pressure from the oil system will push oil out the top of the filter and it will make a mess. I have always opened the oil fill cap before draining oil to release any vacuum pressure.

Please feel free to comment/correct any of the above before I change my oil. I want a process that's as painless as I can make it! :rocks:
In regards to 1. Not true, I left my keyfob in the car the entire time so I could listen to some jazz while I work

In regards to 2. You may be right, that does make sense. I'm glad I held off on opening up the filter cap until the oil was drained.

~My own observations:

1) All 7 qts are necessary if you drain the oil after having the car run for 10 minutes.
2) When turning the knob for the door to swing open, if it doesn't want to turn completely...try turning it the other way(learned)
3) The car runs about 10-15 degrees cooler since I changed it (since yesterday)
4) Don't listen to parts, make sure you know what you need prior to arrival. Parts department tried to tell me I needed Synthetic 0-40 motor oil if I was going to use Castrol (had asked for Castrol, but Castrol Synthic is the same as BMW Synthetic). 0-40 is for Mobil1 Synthic only I believe.
5) Changing the oil is so easy on this car, I'm not claiming to be mechanically inclined...quite the opposite but it was a breeze (although it took about 1 and 1/2hrs to figure it all out).

Adding to this knowledge bank, there are some pics below:

Starting Material

Proper Blend

New vs Old

Old vs New

Small area to plug a pen into

Small Green Seal removal

Lubricated Nicely

Fully Drained

Cool Runnings