04-09-2015, 06:17 AM   #15
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
Based on what?

The EBC Yellowstuff I'm running in the M5 are great as a fast road pad, they work from cold, get better as they warm up, not overly dusty, no noise like some performance pads, they are a vast improvement over the standard ones!

As for Ferodo Premier, they are nothing special, I've had them on the wife's car in the past and they were ok, but not ideal in anything with a bit of power.
From the last 10+ years in modified/tuning scene, theres a recurring theme of how awful EBC pads are. From them breaking up/disintegrating/melting, to wooden feeling pedals, to just generally being a bit pap compared with other options.

Its an opinion held by many people on various different unrelated forums i've used over the years. As such i've always avoided them, and to be perfectly honest i've never had a problem using good road pads like the Ferodo Premiers on a road car.

The simple fact is that pads essentially fit into two categories, road pads, with proper R90 approval, and track/race pads, which are much more aggressive and dont have R90 approval. The EBC's try to sit in the middle with a R90 approved pad that pretends its up there with proper trackday pads like the Ferodo DS series or Mintex M11xx etc, and ends up being a bit compromised for both situations.

Ofcourse i'll happily admit that it may well be that they've changed the compounds and they've got better in recent times, but personally i still wouldnt use them.
Appreciate 0