View Single Post
      04-09-2015, 08:35 AM   #19
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro35i View Post
If you haven't used them,please refrain from writting such a strong comment like you used them and almost died because of it. Anyone can find lots of info regarding how bad ebc were in the old tuning scene and to be honest i was put off with reading so much on the net.

i bought mine to try and was ready to bin them if they were really rubbish.

i used the same set for 2 years now and i still have plenty of life left, one word of advise , i had to do alot of 100+mph to 30mph and upto a month of driving to finally get my pads worn in.
I didnt write a strong comment about dying.

I expressed my personal opinion that i would avoid them.

You can form personal opinions about things without having personally tried them, and many people do so about all sorts of things in life. Sometimes these opinions might be flawed or biased, sometimes they can be backed up with hard evidence, sometimes its just a "feeling".

The biggest issue with brakes, is very few people do proper objective testing in a controlled manner. Someone will have a car with 3 year old brakes which are becoming worn out, and will decide that they're crap and need an upgrade, so will install some fancy uprated parts and declare they're 100% better than before. But your not then comparing like for like are you? If you replaced the original worn out parts with new standard parts it would also likely transform how the brakes worked, because its all nice and new and working properly.

No-ones going to take four sets of brand new disks, and four different pads, and try them all back to back and measure how they perform on a road car, its all subjective, and unfortunately because we're all human, if you spend £200 on something thats supposed to be better, the likelyhood is you will conclude its better, even if it was infact no better than a brand new set of standard parts.

The one field you do get proper comparisons is track and race use, becuase those folks and eating thru brake pads extremely quickly, and thus are (almost) doing back to back testing between different products. But ofcourse that data is pretty useless for a road car.
Appreciate 0