JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlspeed29 View Post
hey JK...
have you heard of Cafe Calabria in San Diego?
some friends of mine rave about it
No, never heard of them. That doesn't mean they are bad though. There are thousands upon thousands of cafes out there. Could be good. The last place I lived had 3 cafes that were within a few minutes of each other. 1 was owned by a famous barista who pretty much, and literally, wrote the barista book. The second was just a little woodsy/artsy spot who used some other companies beans that I haven't heard of and the third was a small artsy lodge, slightly on the upscale side, that lived by that barista handbook and roasted their own beans. At the end of the day, I found the best coffee at the least coffee obsessed shop, but I dont doubt that a large part of that had to do with their 4 group Synesso machine which is pretty much the Zonda of machines. So a great machine or great beans wont necessarily make a place great. The place that roasted their own beans were pretty on and off when it came to quality. I had a friend back in the area there that they would consult about roasting. That man roasted some of the most epic beans I've ever tasted.

The only way to see what you like is to go try it. I would suggest a ristretto to really see what they've got. I personally dont think anything should be added to great espresso as the crema and drink it self should have an underlying sweetness.
Appreciate 0