View Single Post
      01-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #60
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
About your questions, obviously you're trying to find out if I do the stereotype thing or "sweeping generalization"...and yes, I do tend to generalize sometimes...

Do you meet a lot of fake ass asylum seekers? No, haven't met any "officially" ....so how do I know there are lots of them?...do I have any stats? or proof?...No, like I said, I make my judgement on what I see...Having spent a short time working as an estate agent, I'm out of the office quite a lot....meet different people everyday...being a foreigner, i've met other foreigners aswell... my experience is just by "being on the streets and meeting people". Not good enough you might say...up to you.

I'm not going to go into the details.

Up to you, if you believe that there are not many fake ass asylum seekers around and everything is fine. We'll just have to disagree.

You keep mentioning the Australians v/s indigeneous people?...I got no idea what you're trying to say? ( Not being rude, but seriously I have no idea what you're implying?)

Not the first time on this forum where members have branded my posts "racists" ...so it's either I'm not being clear with what I write or I am a racist! which is it then????
Firstly, glad you're enjoying the debate. It's interesting always to here/read other people's views and opinions. Or at least i think so. I learn a lot that way. So there is no aggro intended.

I will state that i personally prefer to know the facts and not make sweeping generalisations (or at least that is my intention - nobody is perfect). I think it's important not to be like the Daily Mail who would have you believe that the biggest threat to our lives on daily basis are illegal Muslim immigrant terrorists. But the facts would probably suggest your local lollipop lady is more of threat! (not a fact!) So we will have to disagree on that point.
But at least you're aware of the fact you're making those sweeping assumptions. That was part of the point i was making (and Gizze has reiterated with an example) Having a self-awareness. So that's cool.

As to how many fake ass asylum seekers are around. My contention is that it doesn't matter in the big scheme of things. The govt throws Starbucks and Jimmy Carr at us to distract from the facts that they are making a mess of the economy (not to say the previous administration were any better). eg What they were doing was legal. A few years back Vodafone got caught out and then were let off with 6bn. The spend and wastage in this country is ridiculous. Even today's news about a couple earning £48k each will keep child benefit versus and a couple where an individual earning £65k will lose it shows the ineptitude (btw - i'm single and have no kids - but i believe in a fair taxation scheme) But the right wing media/press use our innate fear of the unknown (prejudice in it's literal sense) to keep our eyes off the big important issues.

Also another point is that you need to look at the net benefit/cost of immigration. Not pick out individuals. Yes there are people screwing the system - but if you calculate the costs of asylum seekers (who we do getting international funding for) v indigenous population you'd see it's insignificant. Either way, we should be kicking the arses of the civil servants for allowing that to happen.

The example of Australia is that lots of Britons emigrated to Aus in the 50/60/70's and they now want to shut the door to any further immigration. Even though Australia could do with another 15-30m inhabitants to drive it's economy on a world scale. Ironic doesn't even cover that situation!

A_P- fwiw i lived in London for 6 years. Have visited since i was a baby. And still own a property there. In fact most of my family now live in London. So i am well versed with the diversity/issues etc. I liked near Popular before and after gentrification. So have a decent handle on the friction that can be caused by the have's and have nots and different cultures.
Appreciate 0