View Single Post
      09-12-2012, 05:28 AM   #1
pinemind
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i M-sport 6 sp manual

Cracked OEM rim -> Removal of RFT's for Summers .. Wow!

Hi,

So I've seen a lot of threads recently about people second guessing their decision to go to RFT's. I've only had my car for 4 months and it came with RFT's. Last week, I got a flat in my RFT and was told it had to be replaced. I had a set of Hankook V12's in the same OEM 17" size so I told them to replace them.

Bigger problem, one of the rims was cracked. So I got a reconditioned rim ordered and in came in yesterday. I took it to this local shop that is well renowned for fixing rims and balancing properly. While they had my car on the lift, they brought me in the shop and showed my how horrifically all 3 remaining rims were bent. I was shocked as it wasn't even close. It looked like someone smacked the back of each wheel with a sledgehammer (thanks Boston roads).

So, some cash and an hour later, I had 3 straightened rims, 1 newish rim and 4 summer tires on, and all 4 properly RoadForce balanced. Results? Wow! I've always thought there would be some vibration at highway speeds, even with a BMW. But now I know that it wasn't just the RFT's contributing to the slight vibrations and noise. This thing rides and handles like a dream now!

Do yourself a favor when switching your tires/rims between seasons, get your rims checked out by a reputable rim/wheel repair shop. I've never had a better commute in my life.
Appreciate 0