12-02-2008, 10:07 AM   #7
Back in a Subie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited

Garage List
I dont buy this "hooked" BS

If you get "hooked" it’s your own deal... just as if you were an alcoholic or a drug user, its all about self control and moderation. The reason so many people get "hooked" is because it is a really cheap from of entertainment ($0.50 a day roughly) and quite honestly I would rather play this exhilarating game than mindlessly watch TV. You can still play the game on a casual level though and not dump that much time and/or energy into it.

In fact with the new expansion the entire game is tuned for casual play, you no longer need a perfect group to do things, you no longer need to find 40 other people for end game, you can invest 3-5 hours a week in Arena combat and come out with decent gear. There is even a Recruit-A-Friend deal where you are pretty much given levels 1-60. So, don't believe this "huge time sink" argument or the "addicting as heroin" spiel... it is as much as you let it be.

On that note... NEVER NEVER NEVER PLAY ON A FREE (Private) SERVER! Private servers are not only illegal (and against Blizzards ToS), it is a great way to have your account hacked and/or identity stolen. If Blizzard Entertainment finds out you are playing on a Private Server they will Perma-Ban your account, the people running these Private Servers do not normally have your best interests in mind, and as stated there is NO customer support. Also, because these servers are not maintained by a staff of super computer nerds like at Blizzard, they are buggy, laggy and often unplayable.

Hope this helps you make a more informed decision for your self, it is your free time, don’t let people scare you into thinking a video game is as dangerous and destructive as other things in life.