View Single Post
      04-30-2010, 10:50 PM   #1
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

17) Cut out the moon roof leaving about 1" excess all around. Remove the cardboard. Cut radial slits into the vinyl corners. Do not go all the way to the edge.

18) Grab the blow dryer and heat up 1 corner at a time. Fold the edges and wrap under the roof top. Let the vinyl dry a couple hours. Then, remove anything holding the wind deflector down and close the moonroof.

19) Here's the roof completely done.

20) Move to the roof rails. Here's a quick look. The vinyl will be trimmed and tucked between the side and the weatherstriping later.

21) The rail is curved so get a piece wide enough to cover it. You can always heat and stretch the vinyl to conform to the curve.

22) I highly recommend using a friend to assist here. Mine went home by now and I had to resort to masking tape being the assistant.

23) Use the same technique to wrap, cut and tuck the vinyl. Snap back onto the roof when done.

24) Here is the final product.

* The only thing left to do is wrap, paint or purchase a new shark fin. I could have used my AW fin but thought it looked goofy. So, I'm going without until I can get a new one. Everything works fine sans the SOS function which will appear as an error on the instrument cluster.

You may get a few bubbles. Let the car sit a couple weeks in the hot sun. Most will go away. Any left can be popped with a small pin.

Good luck on your install and like always, do this at your own risk. I accept no responsibility for your outcome... unless it looks good. Then you can pay me

EDIT 5/4/10

25) Here's an image of the painted fin with double-side tape applied. You can pick this up at most auto part stores.

26) Car is all done!

Last edited by dbjb; 05-04-2010 at 08:50 PM..
Appreciate 5