View Single Post
      06-22-2009, 06:36 PM   #9
PhilL
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2, F15 X5 4.0d

Funnily enough I was going to write a very similar post tonight about my 335d! Gotta say I agree with your write up.

3 months in and I'm just loving the car. In E91 guise in particular it's just fantastic; refined, quick and discreet enough for client car parks - it's like the automotive iron fist in the velvet glove. The tourer is just fantastic; less flashy than the coupe IMO but with enough space for the dog, work kit, road trips and mountain bikes (although not all at once!)

Today I covered a fair few motorway miles and felt fresh as a daisy afterwards; the big D is just made for motorway cruising. I love the satisfaction when someone is sitting on my bumper, probably running late for their next office stationary convention and I'm waiting patiently for the car in front to pull in.. then with a quick flex of the toe i'm gone

Then on the way home a spirited B road drive making good use of the paddles. The car is just so planted and when pushed, there's not much than will keep pace on UK roads.

Back out this evening for footie and a relaxed A road cruise saw me return a trip avg over 45mpg I mean really; I'm usually bored of anything after 5 mins but I just love this car. Unless Alpina bring out a D3 Bi-Turbo model based on the 3 litre TT unit I can't think of anything I would want to replace it with atm (although an e91 Alpina B3 would be nice, if a little thirsty).

One feature which I find really useful on the touring is the split tailgate and remote operated luggage cover; just great for chucking stuff in the boot, or when settling the dog down. One minor gripe which seems quite commonplace is the trim around the rear boots windows in the touring; both sides seem to creak and squeak a fair bit, I think a trip to the dealer's is in order to get them to look at that. Also when cold, the idle is slightly lumpy at the moment.

The stereo needs the Alpine upgrade, and I can't believe that even with elec leather sports seats on a car like this, it doesn't even have a manual lumbar support! It might be a small thing for many people but I've had a really hard time getting the seat position just right and with enough support to my lower back. Jeez I sound like an old man not a healthy bloke in his 20s!

These minor issues aside (and the fact the GF slammed the door of her car into mine which will require some cosmetic attention.. you'd think you would be safe on your own drive eh ) I couldn't be happier with it so far.

Next step, some blacklines (look especially good on the SG). Keep telling myself I'm Gliptone the leather and detail the interior but not got round to it yet!

I think I'll need some new boots on the rear in a few months but the fronts look ok; not sure what to do there, to runflat or not to runflat? That is the question. I've been relatively pleased with the performance of the Michelin PS2s and the ride is firm but bearable with the M Sport Suspension. I definitely take more care to avoid potholes though than in my previous car (a Mk5 Golf Gt Sport 170 Tdi with 17" alloys). Also I'm getting similar fuel consumption to the Golf. Unbelievable.

Would love a trip to Evolve but I think that will have to wait for a bit.

IMO BMW, you've done well. Just hope the dealer experience going forward will match the car.
Appreciate 0