Drives: slow

Garage List
2007 335i  [7.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFish View Post
Yes it is over priced, but by how much?

1) I keep my Stock ride quality or better
2) I keep my ride shock travel
3) It is proven to be designed for the car. This is a major one for me. You know as well as anyone on this forum of the myriad of choices and results on this forum. Some people have taken out their mods because they don't like them, or get bad results.
4) Adjustable shocks of decent quality
5) I have heard that the winters/snow/salt are not good for coilovers. And they require maintenance. This setup doesn't.
6) Turn in and steering feel is vastly improved.
7) I don't care about tire wear. I'll get new ones every year if this gives me the handling I want.

I was all set to follow FourPointDrift's setup. KWV3's, MORR rims (wider), M3 bits, H&R sways front and rear. This was more money, lower, and more of a track setup. I drive to work 90% of the time on the highway.

I changed my tires and it really affected the handling. I got nervous and worried that I was going to spend a ton and bugger the car up. This is not my line of work... So I pay. I pay for Dinan engineering, and I pay for the dealer to put it in. Ya. I am paying more... BUT I will have recourse if things are not correct (I believe).

$5k to me is ok. (that is labour, and tax). The parts are $2,400. Coilovers were 2k min with no sways, so I felt this was a CHEAPER option.... assuming it gives the performance I want.

I may pay another 5k next year when I do the rear end subframe bushings, control arms and maybe LSD - and take out the Dinan S2 and put the Procede in - when I am out of warranty.

PS: the M3 sways are designed to understeer as per FourPointDrift. The H&Rs are better for a more balanced feel than the M3 Sways.

Comments?
Lets compare Dinan S3 to TCK Koni SA coilovers with Swift springs since they both use Koni SA dampers ...TCK setup cost ~$1900, add ~$400 for F&R M3 sway bars. You also have the option to add M3 rear camber link conversion for ~$300. There are also other good choices out there, but I feel this set up is best for what you're looking for.

1) TCK setup will ride better even at reasonably higher spring rate due to superior springs.
2) You have the option of stock ride height/moderate lower or moderate lower/significant lower.
3) Dinan and TCK dampers are both re-valved by Koni according to their spec AFAIK.
4) Same
5) Winter is only a factor if the coilover is not made from stainless steel.
6) TCK wins hands down on performance. Dinan set up is really limited by the use of stock style springs. Stock style springs are alot heavier which is not ideal for both ride and handling.

Please elaborate how M3 sway bars are designed to be understeer??? That's kinda vague because understeer is a result of many things such as driving style, tire size, camber, damper setting etc.

I'm not sure how you pay $5k even with tax and labor when the parts are only $2.4k? Does installation have to be done by Dinan dealer? If so, and you really have to pay $5k, I'm sorry you're getting ripped off so bad I don't know what to say...

Harold@HPA is really the person to talk to, I'm just offering what I learned from him
Appreciate 0