05-14-2012, 05:18 AM   #17
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
In truth AP I'm slightly offended.You ask for advice and have the temerity to post pics of a filthy car.
What the f*ck is that all about

Anyway on a serious note a couple of queries:

What are the offsets of the wheels?
What width are the wheels?
What size wheels/ tyres are you running on the front?

:
Hahaha, oh dear apologies. Hahaha. Truth be told, Its dirty, proper filthy ( exterior only) for around 6 months a year and then super clean, polished swirl free for the other 6.... Its always been this way with all my cars... dont know why!?

Ok. so orginally when I bought the car from Farnborough BM it was running standard M Sport MV3 18" bridgestone, 225 40 18 front and 255 35 18 back.

So I took them off and they are still stored in the garage with the stock tires. I then installed a set of Cades Apollo about 3 and half years ago, which are 8.5 front wearing 235/35/19 and then 9.5 rears wearing 265/30/19. I believe the ET is either 35 or 45 but I dont really know for sure. The ride was good and all the usual everyone has said about the 265 rears.

Until... last year I ran the 275 at the back ( same 235/35/19 up front) This, subjectively, was a huge leap forward in terms of driving pleasure for me, The car was much more planted than the year before and ran heavier but more sure footedly, on the limit it was much more progressive and predictable.

A close friend of mine had an S3 and a nice private road, From a standing start, he pulled away first and opened a lead which levelled out to a 2 car length gap at around 70mph, and then I began to reel him in. ( this was running the 265 rears)

We did this again around Jan time this year, when I was running the 275 rears and traction was much better this time and we were practically level at 60 and i edged ahead at 80.

So the point of it all, is that If the 275/30/19 can fit and run without any problems thus far, and in my opinion improve traction and handling then should I go the step further and try running the 275 with a 40 height to assertain wether or not there would be any further gains in comfort and/or enjoyment to be had?

As a sort of test bed if you will. Its strange because no one it seems as done something like this before? Over the pond in the States it seems they are more into running 19 or 20 inch rims with huge drops and stretched tires, and over here ppl seem to be satisfied with their 265 rears.

Thanks for the offer Hotcoupe that is very generous of you, but I will decline on the grounds that I have pretty been sold on idea of getting the tires and trying it, unless someone or my self can find some evidence of this being a really bad idea.
If for whatever reason you need a hand with anything in the future if me a shout.

Lastly, I do not promote any kind of erratic or stupid behaviour on public roads. I have no points and have a clean license. Anyone who likes a good race then take it to a track or the sort.

The s3 comparison is not an accurate test and he no longer has it as he swapped for an orange TTS ( tell me about it)

Safe driving Guys and Girls.

Last edited by A_P; 05-14-2012 at 05:25 AM..
Appreciate 0