06-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #21
bobchuong58
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakev724 View Post
I think the red icon is an error which disables startup. By using something such as INPA or BT tool, clearing this errors would make it (temporarily) go away, this would make sense.

If your column was replaced with the same exact one (with the lock), no programming is required.

If however you get a column without the lock, I think you will need programming. The result should be the same as simply disconnecting the lock mechanism with the white connector. But disconnecting this without reprogramming the car gives you a yellow lock symbol and car doesn't start. If this was a possible solution, I'd just physically remove the lock forever. Unfortunately coding is req'd, and anything I've tried doesn't work to disable the mechanism. Hopefully my dealer can help.
*** I'm new to the forum, I got the same steering lock problem in My E90.
Thanks for the Your DIY! some information I saw in the E90 electrical system...
The steering unlock procedure:
1. The CAS2 senses the detection of a valid remote control_ID trasmitter. 2. The CAS2 Enables the unlock function.
3. The ELV performs the unlocking the steering procedure.
4. After the unlock procedure is done,the unlocking status is sensed by the Hall sensor, Hall sensor status reports to the CAS2 as a feedback.
5. The CAS2 switching off ELV module power.
The steering locking procedure:
1. Lock request to CAS2.
2. ELV module switched on.
3. Locking the steering by the ELV.
4. Locking Hall sensor feedbacks from ELV to CAS2.
5. CAS2 switching off ELV control module power.

Is it possible if we disable the Lock and unlock function by coding and remove the lock, we may need to fake or delete the Hall sensor status reported function to the CAS2? Since I do not have the tool I don't know.
Appreciate 0