View Single Post
      03-15-2007, 10:06 PM   #36
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbake View Post
Reading one of my old BMW magazines, they report that the suspension was in fact "designed for runflats" they also stated that the RFT's perform MUCH better than a standard tire. They claimed that the runflat saved 10 SECONDS over a standard tire on the Nurburgring. The claim is more stable sidewall, faster turn in, less wasted motion. So all you RFT haters, I trust the engineers at BMW.

I can take a picture of the article and post it up if you don't believe me.
Yeah... a formula 1 car will lap the Nurburgring very fast but it will also be a punishing experience driving over bumps, etc.

Runflats ride hard... not only this, they wear poorly. I'd like to see BMW run laps of the Nurburgring with used RFTs and used non-RFTs. RFTs degrade pretty poorly in my experience so far. My Bridgestone summer RFTs cupped even though I maintained them at perfect pressure all the time and now they hum between 55 - 75km/hr all the time. Some tire design. Plus, they don't like seeing several successive bumps. By the way, when I am commuting in the city, I could care less about my car being 10 seconds faster around a 22km circuit.

Another question I have is why are all the people that have switched from RFTs on E90s to non-RFTs saying that they love non-RFTs better and that their car feels better than ever on the road? There has to be something to this.
Appreciate 0