Thread: raced STI
View Single Post
      12-10-2005, 08:05 AM   #27
harbour456
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 Audi S4 (prev E90 330i)

Some commentary on the Subaru versus BMW debate. I presently own (for another 2 weeks until my 330i arrives) a 2002 WRX (not an STI version) which however is discretely modified (read NOT rice) to make 275 hp and 275 lb/ft.

Some points about subaru WRX's/STI's:

- are they as refined as the 330i I am buying? certainly not but a very different type of car

- are they fast? (definitely) That STI was not really trying or did not get much of a launch. My own lightly modified WRX is MUCH faster then the 330i I have ordered. The STI is extremely fast... and I have driven it. Apples and oranges to the 330i people.

- will the new M3 own the 2004-2006 STI? of course but it will cost 75% more and the STI is EASILY modified to be right in line with the M3. Also, there will be a new STI in 2008... I'm sure it won't be slower.

- some final points: Don't knock cars that you don't have personal experience with. I'm a car lover, not just a BMW lover. Obviously I love BMW's since I've ordered a 330i but that doesn't mean that all other cars are "crap". Also, if you define "crap" as a car that has had NO problems whatsoever (I mean NONE) in 4 years of driving... well, I have a few BMW maintenance stories to tell you...

- hence, just because we love BMW's doesn't mean that the competition makes bad cars.

- the next time you line up against an STI (even a WRX) you'd better think twice... and remind yourself that that's not really why you bought the E90 in the first place. There are plenty of faster accelerating cars out there for less money.

- just my two cents (Canadian that it)

Cheers from the Great White North!
Appreciate 0