01-13-2008, 04:13 AM   #36
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
With both of them on the drive it's a lot tied up in highly depreciating assets so one of the other sounds sensible. I agree that the 335d is probably the best all round car I have ever owned but is also I feel removed at times as its so good. It may be time in life syndrome and rose tinted glasses but I feel as BMW have gone from E36 to 46 to 90x the cars are better but larger more luxurious and some of the driver magic has gone.

I will be interested to hear your thougts on the mini as it's on my shortlist of fun cars with the 135i. I have the brochures but I have not driven as if I do I will probably buy and I want to take my time and make sure that the next car I buy is not just whim but is right for me.

But, I do like the new mini lots. When my car was having warranty work done at Vines Gatwick I asked a senior technician what he thought of them. He said Mini v2 is far better build quality and he is very impressed so far.

Which style 17" alloys did you go for? I am a big fan of red at the moment especially on hot hatches and I like the stripes also.

For the extra money and it being an auto I still think the occasional drive will be nicer in the S, lower power engine autos hunt for gears where as a bit more power drive the gears. I think it's worth testing an Auto normal cooper to make sure you are not dissapointed and wish you had spent the extra £2k. plus you get xenons on the S with Chili pack.
I agree your comments re 1 series coupe, the shape is growing on me and maybe next time (like next month probably ) I'll take a closer look! In my limited time in the Cooper I thought it was quite good. Not particularly fast (esp after the 335!) but it did seem to be well built and you were certainly more in touch with the driving experience. It is probably a good buy becuase they are alledgedly the least depreciating mainstream car, important in my case! I went for the 17" Flame spoke alloys, pic of a similar spec/colour car below (I specced the driving lamps too). I like the solid red and contratsing black roof/stripes. The alloys are the best ones in my opinion! It was a joy looking at the options list and speccing the car, everything is so 'cheap' compared to the BMW options list!

I think it will be dwarfed by this monster next to it on the drive!

Appreciate 0