View Single Post
      07-08-2009, 06:45 PM   #7
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Ramos: No- it's a 'condition based' interval that almost always seems to wind up being 15k miles.

I got my car CPO with 27k on it, and changed the oil right away (had about 8k on the oil). I'm hoping the prior owner didn't treat it to badly. It runs strong. It is absurd that this hot, high strung TURBOCHARGED motor has the same change interval as their NA motors. Turbos are notoriously hard on, and demanding of, their oil. Subaru had to lower the maintaince interval of their turbo engines after problems popped up, but they're not paying for the maintaince.

I only have about two more free oil changes coming my way, and a 100k mile warranty beyond that. I don't doubt most N54s will make it to 100k at the factory change intervals, but that is unacceptably low in this day and age. While more frequent changes would be nice, for people who bought their cars BEFORE the accelerated change interval (should one be implemented), some sort of super-extended engine & turbo lubrication-related failure warranty would be justified. It would be unacceptable if engines and turbos died earlier than necessary while following factory intervals.
Appreciate 0