01-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #219
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRetep View Post
Just curious is there any benefits/major difference from the end tank you just posted to the original?
Well there's quite a few advantages to be honest. In terms of fabrication, the original tank we offered has a 2.75" pipe (thinner material) welded to the end tank (thicker material). This makes it difficult to get proper penetration and generally requires cleaning up the inside of the pipe afterwards. It also doesn't allow for a smooth entrance and exit since there's going to be a lip on the inside. The new design is a seamless entrance/exit which will help will allow for better flow.

We also reduce a step in the manufacturing process which ensures the same, perfect fit each time. There's also the aesthetic value but I'm the type of person that will design something to perform rather than compromising for the sake of appearance..

Intercoolers like the AMS use this method and it works fine but we're just trying to perfect the design. Using the cast inlet/outlet also allows us to use thicker inlet/outlet which allows the installer to crank down on the t-bolts when installing without having to worry about the pipe deforming since our cast inlets are much stronger than conventional tube inlets. We're also one of the only intercooler (possibly the only one) that uses a true 2.75" ID inlet/outlet on a cast end tank (AA uses 2.25", HPF uses 2" OEM). These cars definitely need help breathing up top due to the smaller turbos and increasing the size of the intake tract will definitely help.

You'll mostly benefit from this larger connection on an upgraded turbo setup, while the gains on a stock turbo car running stock like boosts are going to be marginal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexx03 View Post
^^ that was my next question...what is the difference? are the stock connectors no good?
The stock connections have proven to support up to high 400whp without causing a bottleneck, although I have yet to see/do a proper test showing different HP gains. I honestly don't think peak HP will be affected too much, although gains in the upper RPM range should be expected on a full bolt on car.
Appreciate 0