View Single Post
      11-10-2005, 08:49 AM   #13
ben1364
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330iA

Silverado wrote in part, "...the car also has an oil quality sensor"
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Are you sure about this? This site is the only place I have seen this. I would think that BMW would advertise the fact if an oil analyzer is included. I suspect that the service interval calculations on 3 liter engines in E-60 and E-90 cars are made in the same way as on recent (previous) BMW engines based on operating periods and temperatures.

Extended drain intervals and free service during warranty are, in large part marketing tools. Under most conditions one could probably run one of these cars for the full warranty or lease period without changing the oil (toppintg off as necessary) without noticing a porblem. However, there is a great liklihood that internal engine wear would begin to show up soon after. BMW appears to be on safe ground by covering at most 3 oil changes in the price of the car. Based on service interval calculations, the likelihood is that a high percentage of buyers will only get two changes before the warranty expires. My MCS "said" it didn't require an oil change until 14,267 miles. The stated average interval was 10,000. Of course I changed the oil twice before taking it in to the MINI dealer for its 1st full service at 14,300.
Appreciate 0