04-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #16
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by avol3xo View Post
Never saw this on either of my Hondas, or any of my parents' cars. (Acura, Merc)
Must be climate difference, I'm guessing you never see snow/road salt or much rain for that matter? My '09 looks like it was pretty well pampered by PO and even it is showing signs of some surface rust on the rotor hats. It's apparently been in NoVA since delivery.

My Jeep lived for 10 years or so in Pittsburgh; the rotors were pretty crusty when I replaced them. The rear drums didn't need replacing so I cooked all the heavy flaky rust off of them in my electrolytic tank (if you work on old cars you really should set one up, it's magical) and painted them with high-temp caliper paint from the parts store; you couldn't ask for better surface prep but it's only be about 6 months and already there's some rust showing through the paint. IME it's something you just have to live with and either ignore, repaint 2x a year, or never drive your vehicle in rain (I really didn't drive the Jeep in snow that much this year.)

Now I did use Centric Premium rotors on the Jeep and it's only been a little over a year but the hats still look good, so they may be my go-to rotor going forward. I see they have a "high-carbon" version now as well. I believe that StopTech are made by Centric if you like drilled and/or slotted.

Last edited by N8N; 04-22-2013 at 08:19 AM..
Appreciate 0