05-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #10
williamf
Audi Convert
United_States
Rep
Drives: Past: 335i Now: TTRS stage 2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu1 View Post
BMW Northwest crashed one of my cars a couple years ago. They fixed it after having the car for 3 weeks. I got no loaner, no discount on the work that the car was there for. Not even a free oil change. A couple years later, I was using this same car as a trade in at BMW Northwest. We agreed on the trade in value but then while doing the paperwork they found that it had their accident on the record. They wanted to give me 3500 less on trade in because they would be at risk for not being able to sell it with accident history....
No offense but it sounds like you did not insist on getting what you were entitled to. Why didn't you get a loaner?

As far as the trade is concerned, of course they are going to "try" to use the repair as an excuse to get you to sell them your car for less. Their job is to "buy low" and "sell high." They have to come up with a reason to rip you off. You don't have to accept it. Dealers like this I walk away from. They don't all do this. I find dealers who want to develop relationships. If I like the cars, service and price, I will buy several vehicles from them.

I always research the resale value of my trade. I set the stage properly and tell the dealer exactly what I will and will not do. I don't hide anything. It is an up or down deal. I never traded a car when I bought American cars. The dealers always F***ed around. But most of the high-end dealers understand that haggling work against them. I have traded several cars to these guys and got exactly what was fair.
Appreciate 0