View Single Post
      01-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
JasonsE90
Rep
Drives: N55 E90 AW

N55 COBB First Impressions

Background
I've had the JB4 Stage 2 since it came out, but I was getting tired of having to remove and re-install the tune everytime I was due-in for service at the dealer. The JB4 is a great product, and I'll really miss the on-dash gauges and the many functions that it has. However, the convenience of COBB really stood out in my books and became the deciding factor.

XTR Performance
I haven't heard of these guys before, but they seem to be a silver level sponsor on the Sponsor section of E90Post. So when I saw that they had the COBB AP on sale, I jumped at the opportunity. It was Sunday night and I was having trouble finding the N55 AP on the XTR website. On the bottom right of the page was a chat function, allowing you to chat with a representative from the company. It being a Sunday night, I doubted that anyone would respond, but I figured I'd give it a shot anyways. To my surprise, someone replied from the other end! Chris from XTR was extremely helpful, polite, and helped answer all my questions. He told me that the N55 AP was still not on the website but if I ordered the N54 SKU, he would send me the N55 instead. Chris's dedication to his work(working on Sunday night!) and the tremendous discount really made this a no-brainer for me. Not to mention the fact that there was free overnight shipping. So I placed my order, and received shipping notification on Monday and received it Tuesday. So what's the verdict? 5/5 for Chris@XTR Performance.

N55 COBB AccessPort
Now, onto the AP itself. The install itself was absolutely painless that even a caveman could do it. After about 15 minutes of loading in the maps, I went out on a test drive with Stage 1 Aggressive, to see how it compared to the JB4. And WOW, what a blast it was to drive. The throttle was very responsive and was quite sensitive compared to what I was used to with the JB4. The power was there with minimal throttle input. Being that most gas stations only sell 91 Octane here in California, and 93 is the requirement for Stage1 Aggressive, I swapped the map to Stage1 Sport, which was still a blast to drive, but it really lacked the excitement that is associated with the Aggressive map. All in all, I am very happy with my purchase.

The JB4 and COBB both have great value, each with different strengths and weaknesses. For me, the convenience of the AP really won me over.
Appreciate 0