BimmerCop
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by my new bimmer View Post
Hi guys,

I am new to this forum. I am looking to purchase a new vehicle and would appreciate your help. I am looking at a 2007 (E92) 335i automatic coupe with 70,000kms. I believe the car is out of warranty. It is black and has a hamann front bumper (so no pop up washers for the headlight). It has the navi, sport, and premium package.

Problem:
I took the car for a test drive and noticed the ‘service engine soon’ light come on when I step into the throttle. The first minute or 2 the car was driving as normal, but when I step into the throttle, the light comes on and there is a significant lack of power (feels like it is bogging down). When the car comes to a stop light, it idles very very rough, almost a shaking feeling.

If you turn the car off and turn it on again, the light goes away and will idle just fine, but again when I step on the gas the light turns on, and the same symptoms that I mentioned earlier are once again present.

The seller is difficult to understand because of a language barrier, so I am not sure if he has changed the hpfp, he did not seem to understand what I was asking. He did tell me that the cause of the ‘service engine soon’ light is apparently a sensor on the intercooler, and according to him is a $100 part that he would change for me.

He told me he will change the sensor if I am going to buy the car, and I meet him at the repair shop (probably independent shop, not dealer).

My concern is that: The shop replaces the sensor, maybe it is a band-aid fix?, I take it for a test drive – car is fine, then on the way home or a day or 2 later, the same symptoms appear.

My question is: could a sensor on the intercooler cause this problem? Could there be other issues?
I had the exact issue on my car. Took it to the dealer and they ended up changing the pressure solenoid on wastegate #2. Problem was the turbo was loosing boost pressure and causing the faults. Car feels like new now.
Appreciate 0