11-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #94
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
Hey X, check his posts...he's one of the knowlegeable guys. Your truck WOULD be safer on winter tires....fact. You should calm down...sounds like its getting a little personal.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed the argument was based on a misunderstanding of the original statement.

I've driven all different types of cars in the snow, and I could definitely see situations in which an AWD with winter performance tires would not be as good as a RWD with snow tires (deep snow or true glare ice are the first that come to mind). The winter performance tires tend to be limited by their compounds as they need to maintain higher speed ratings and typically dry winter road performance. And, as indicated by the poster, some tires (in any category) are better than others. Going from bad winter performance to good snow would be like going from bad all seasons to good winter performance (in winter conditions).

Similarly, an AWD with the same tires as the RWD will accelerate more effectively, but that is not what the original post said which started the debate over nothing.

To prolong the argument, though, I would state that RWD is my preference to FWD in the snow (or any time for that matter) for me given my driving style. The issue to me lies in the fact that with FWD, you are attempting to gain forward motion (accelerating) and lateral motion ( steering ) with the same traction surface (the front tires). Whereas with RWD, I have an easier time maintaining control through the separation of the steering (FW) and acceleration (RW) with the added benefit of being able to more easily adjust the vehicle angle or steer with the appropriate modulation of the throttle. Additionally, with each axle being given a different primary purpose, the tires do not need to work as hard to maintain traction. Just a thought...

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0