View Single Post
      02-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #11
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu- View Post
You could ask... Whether or not they'll help is another story. It is common practice for dealers to just compound and glaze cars. Browse auotpoia and autogeek forums to find a reputable detailer in your area. I wouldn't trust someone solely based on his claim of "25 years experience". I've seen a lot of hack jobs from guys like those. Auto detailing is one of the most common ways people get screwed due to lack of knowledge of the procedure.

Expect to pay around $400-600 for a great job. Familiarize yourself with detailing terminology and such from the forums I suggested if you plan on going with a detailer not popularly recommended by the detailing community. And remember, proper detailing takes many hours to complete (one man could easily take over 8 hours), so if the price sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

I seriously doubt you will get anything from the used car dealer. It is possible but highly unlikely. They got your money already!!!!!

Paint Corrections is a long process and most volume shops would not do this kind of work since it is not in their business model. They are looking to turn as many cars as they can in a day.

A good way to spot a pro is to see if they have a paint gauge. A pro will always measure the paint prior to any corrections. They want to make sure the car has enough clear afterwards. Most cars only have about 100-200 microns or 4-5 mils worth of paint on the metal (Primer+BaseCoat+ClearCoat). OEM paint is thin.

Good Luck.