View Single Post
      10-01-2010, 09:01 PM   #93
iflyjetzzz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

I had my oil changed at the dealer a couple of weeks ago. When they reset the oil change interval, it was set to two years and 25K miles. I just bought the car a month ago so it was the first oil change for me. Was it reset to 25K miles after dealer oil changes prior to 9/1/10?
I've also noticed that the miles don't click down as fast as they did prior to the oil change ... ie the computer stated 3400 miles until next change when I bought it but after driving 2200 miles, it read 50 miles until change. I've driven nearly 2K miles of the same type of driving (a bit aggressive), yet it still reads 24K miles until next service.

So it appears that they've not only extended the interval between changes, they've also reprogrammed the conditioned based service software so that oil changes will be occurring at ~25K miles, no matter how hard you drive the car, instead of ~15K miles. There's no telling what other services have been extended due to software reprogramming.

Fortunately, I'm at 44K miles (my maintenance warranty expires at 50K and I won't be buying an extended maintenance warranty) and plan on doing my own changes at ~7K mile intervals.
Appreciate 0