10-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #26
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
very interesting read, but I ask you then, you agree that additives enhance the vehicle to respond properly?
I have no idea. The way I percieve that my car drives often involves the way I feel that day. The decision would be how much trouble I would go to for what benefit.

If I actually thought it would help, and not cause any side effects, but that it would only extend my engine life by 3% from 300,000 miles to 309,000 miles, I would save the trouble and the money. Additives were originally designed to solve problems, not prevent them per se. The newest ASTM specifications were declared to improve diesel fuel consistency and quality by those that put them into effect/designed them.

The additive manufacturers have data they don't publish. Why is this? As a scientifically minded person, I would think its the same reason UFO's appear only in remote areas and cause pictures to become fuzzy. They never seem to appear in broad daylight in the middle of a large population, for example, to prove they exist. If the data was compelling, it seems logical that they would take advantage and show an advantage. Of course, this would make the oil giants notice and bring up their game, so the consumer would win. Its happened before where engine problems were solved with improvments in fuel or in oil.

So no, like anything else that is too good to be true, I don't go for the sales pitch too easily. Would like more to stand on than promises and stories.
Appreciate 0