akhbhaat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M318ti Type-R Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbirdsarego
akhbhaat may be correct.

However, it would also seem to be less effort for BMW to simply start selling the 323 (as it appears in Canada) into the US and then add an additional model (with possibly more than one variant), the 335, to the 3-series line? Then along comes the M.
They could do this, but I explained my reasoning for thinking otherwise above. I have no doubt that they should pursue a more aggressive approach - simply adding a new model on top and a new model on the bottom does nothing to improve their competitiveness with the most dangerous products already out there. While BMW could easily sit back and ride their brand reputation and buyer base as long as possible, that's almost GM-like in terms of foolishness. Once you get to the top, you have to work to stay there. Just my opinion, of course...based on life experiences and all.

But honestly, I don't really care THAT much - just know that I really don't want another base model 3 series, and I simply don't think the 330i is worth the money when there are some very good alternatives available - this coming, mind you, from a fairly long term BMW buyer. I'm not 100% sold on the E90 styling yet (inside or out) and there are some very low mileage E46 ZHP cars floating around which I could get for less that are just as fast. The E90 is not such a huge enough improvement over my old E46 that I'm just going to rush out and buy one because it's the latest, greatest thing. Some new engines and maybe a couple extra color choices might change that.

Quote:
I guess a lot depends on who BMW really thinks they are competing with. I.e. do they really think they are losing significant buyers to the Japanese brands and if yes, do they believe that horsepower will make all the difference (versus price etc.).
Very true. In my opinion: the Japanese are, by far, the biggest threat (remember how value conscious the US market is!). Note that I'm thinking in terms of the US market - Audi is a relatively small player in the US market (BMW probably outsells them here by at least 3:1 or 4:1 in almost every market segment they compete directly in), whereas they're fairly popular in Europe, where Audi is arguably BMW's most important competitor (especially at the lower end of the luxury market).

If there's no engine change this year, and I'm going to buy another new BMW anytime soon, it will likely be the Z4 coupe. I personally have absolutely no significant desire to buy the E90 in current form and several of my peers (fellow BMW owners) feel the same way. Actually, I really hate to say this, but if I were to buy a sport sedan RIGHT NOW, I wouldn't even consider the A4 or C-class, and I would probably spend a lot more time around the Lexus and Infiniti dealerships. So, yes, there is some personal perspective invested into whom I think BMW really needs to pay attention to.

Quote:
I suspect that BMW will always struggle to compete with the Japanese (and other) manufacturers on horsepower at a similar price point since their engineers are committed to retaining balance. This also makes me wonder whether BMW would ever simply drop a 330 hp engine into the E90 w/o making other changes (suspension etc.). They are too committed to getting it right than to just up the HP.

Lastly, I think the US market is surely ready for more models of 3. If the UK can have so many engine configurations I am sure more than 3 could be sold in the US, heck even Canada has the 323 !
Agreed...we'll see.
Appreciate 0