02-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLegacy007 View Post
Hey everyone what's up? So here's the story, I installed a BMW performance steering wheel on my car today. Non-electric wheel, so I didn't mess with any wiring or anything like that. For the install I unplugged the battery, hooking it back up after the installation. Went for a drive around the block, no warning lights, paddle shifters worked, everything was fine.

About an hour later I turn on the car and I get a battery warning on the IDrive screen, I think it said something like "battery de-charge". And the engine fans kicked on and wouldn't turn off. I turned the car off and turned it back on, no warning message on the IDrive screen this time, but the check engine light is now on. I figured the battery may have been drained from being disconnected, so I put about 30 highway miles on the car since I was heading out anyways. The CEL remained on and is still on.

The car also seemed to take a couple seconds to crank a couple of the times I have started it since. Maybe 3 out of 6 times.

Anyone experienced this? Any ideas what to check? All systems check out "OK" under vechicle system checks on the IDrive.
Have you ever replaced the battery? If not, then it could be time for that.

Regardless, take it to an indy shop (or a friendly BMW dealer) who will read the codes for you, and tell you what to do. If you do the battery upgrade yourself, or the indy shop does it, you MUST 'code' the car so it knows that a new battery is going in. If the shop disagrees, don't have them do it. It's not up for debate if you do or not--the car keeps track of the battery with a bit of software, and if you change it without telling the car, it won't know.
Appreciate 0