View Single Post
      10-01-2009, 05:51 AM   #331
Mike in Hampshire
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None at present!

OK, had the Alpine kit installed by Barons of Farnborough (actually the workshop is in Ash Vale). Hope I'm not breaking any Forum rules here, but they only charged £448.50 all included (I have the E92 335i) and seem to have done a good job; well it all works properly anyway!
What does it sound like compared to the stock set-up? The biggest difference is made by the tweeters, I think. You can now hear cymbals, hi-hats and the like. I've found that you really notice the biggest improvement at high-ish volumes (the Alpine system is not earth-shatteringly loud), although at modest volumes it doesn't sound that much better than stock.
I still think the bass could be better. I have the settings at +4 for bass and +2 for treble; this avoids a boomy bass, but it isn't as good as I'd hoped. I'm not into club type music but the Alpine doesn't do Pete Trewavas' bass justice on something like Marillion's "Gazpacho", for instance (God, this is turning into a hi-fi magazine review!!).
So is it worth £450? Yes, just about. Let's be honest, if you're running a 335i that isn't a vast fortune. Plus, the new Alpine tweeters do look really cool!

So one question......has anyone with the Alpine system upgrade then gone on to upgrade the under seat subs? Can the Alpine cope with that? If so, which ones did you install and how easy was it? Sorry, that is 3 questions.

Mike.
Appreciate 0