United States Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBMW View Post
Unless i'm not understanding correctly what he did, you won't have to worry about anything that you listed there because the diverter valves are still doing the same job that they have been doing except they are just venting to the atmosphere instead of placing that same air back into the intake plumbing. Turbo's don't need that extra air to function, when that air is vented the turbo's are still spinning without any interference. Basically, if you like the sound go for it because it won't hurt anything.

Actually, you DO have to worry about the things that I posted.

Like I said, the diverter valve is calibrated to open at a specific pressure difference.

The pressure in the intake tubing is less than Atmospheric, so the valve is opening at a different time.

You can do anything you like, I'm just giving my opinion, based on technical knowledge of the N54 engine, and turbo engines in general.

Think of it this way:

BMW spent untold MILLIONS of dollars engineering this car.

You want to change what's up just to hear the blow off?

seems to me that's a tad foolish. Don't get me wrong, I love to hear BOV's. But I think if you're going to do it, at least BUY a product that has a little engineering behind it, like a real BOV. You don't need to buy the most expensive one, but something that's had some testing on this car is a plus.

This is kind of like the guys who used to mod their late 80's turbo supras.

There was a specific mod that went around, a lot like this one, that had negative effects. Owners used to bash in the top of their stock diverter valve, because then it would blow off to atmo and sound like a SWEET SSQ. Sounded AWESOME. And it was free.

Too bad they were leaking boost, and losing performance.

Just do it right. This is a high class, heavily engineered, extremely powerful peice of German brain power.

This is NOT an entry level econobox that you have to mod cheaply because you're too broke. If you're going to mod your BMW, do it RIGHT.

Not with plugs and e-tape, and bypassing engineering that cost more than I'll probably make in my lifetime.
Appreciate 0