View Single Post
      10-02-2009, 11:31 AM   #109
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverDrive View Post
sorry for going off topic, but i noticed the OP is autocrossing his car with the springs only. Doesn't that wear out the shocks more quickly? I'm looking to lower my 335xi with springs and at the same time would like to track my car once or twice a year, and since coils are too expensive, they're not an option for me right now.
so is a spring-only setup suitable for track use?
thanks in advance
Here's a bit of advise from someone who's done this procedure twice now (once for the springs, and then a few months later for replacing worn struts/shocks)...
Make sure you get everything you need (shocks/struts & springs) before you do this. Don't go chintzy on this by only doing the springs, because I can tell you from personal experience that you will be kicking yourself for not doing both.
Being that your car is an XI means that you have non-sport suspension with very soft shocks that won't last very long once you go with lower springs.
Some people (like the OP) with sport-package equipped cars are able to add slightly lower after-market springs since the difference between them and OEM is very minor.
My car was exactly like yours in that it had non-sport suspension first, and when I did the lowering springs only, my shocks/struts lasted a few thousand more miles before they went spongy. After that, my car drove like a big '74 Cadillac, floating over everything.
Once is enough for a DIY of this caliber.
Appreciate 0