Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post
The center console trim in my car had some scratches when it arrived from England last year. This may have been due to the packaging/shipping. But scratches and minor blemishes show up very easily on a Piano Black trim, and I was never really satisfied with how it looked.

I had played around with the idea of wrapping my interior trims before, previously wrapped my E36 interior in gloss black. This time I wanted to try something a bit different and something that would match the E90 interior.

The M3 came from the factory with leather interior trims, and I've always like the look and feel. So I decided I would give wrapping the center console of my 335i in Nappa Leather.

I looked around online and locally if I could grab a full or a half hide of nappa leather and came across this website: https://www.theleathershed.com.au/pr...ta-sheep-nappa

I purchased a medium sized hide and it arrived in the mail within 4 days. I opened the package to the smell of sheep and was very surprised at the quality. A quick stroll to Bunnings and picked out this product on the basis of absolutely 0 research:

Kwik Grip Vertical Gel. I also picked up a couple different sizes of paint brushes to apply this product on the trim.

At this point, I left the project for a while, wondering if I should get a professional leather trimmer to do the job, but never got around to calling places and getting a quote. Noting the size of a full hide leather, I decided to do the job myself on the spare center trim I had laying around.

The Kwik Grip gel was very easy to work with, and it held onto the leather very nicely. If you are doing this job, make sure to get a decent pair of brushes in 2 different sizes. One for the larger areas of the trim, and one for the small corners and edges.

I also wrapped the gauge pod in the same leather. I think it turned out really good!

The center trim and the gauge pod. I was able to get rid of the small outdents visible on the leather by wrapping a credit-card in a microfiber towel and gently spreading the glue around. I was able to get most of the visible glue dents to go away.

A couple of shots after I put it all back together

Overall, I am very happy with how it turned out. It feels good to the touch and the leather can take quite a beating before blemishes/scratches show up, unlike the gloss black trim. As I wrapped the spare trim (which was some sort of wood), I still have the piano black intact if I ever want to give it a good polish and go back to it. But for now, I am happy with the results
Amazing work, Looks great !!! would have thought this was a professional job..... nice one
Appreciate 0