View Single Post
      11-24-2011, 03:47 PM   #2019
jvsxn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e-ninety

Is there any relation with the low oil pressure and the ticking of the lifter? I believe that I have a slight (as of a month or so ago) head gasket leak that needs to be taken care of. Could this be the reason for the ticking in conjunction with the loss of oil pressure due to the leak? Before posting, I did check the oil level (in-dash read-out) and it was maxed. I even drove around the block several time hoping to "warm" it up because it has been sitting idle in the garage for 2-3 days. This is the first time that it has happened. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: '06 with 58k miles and is occasionally pushed here and there but not abused. Warranty ended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZ View Post
Based on what I read in the thread. The lifter ticking itself is not a huge issue other than sounding ugly. However, the fact that the oil pressure is not building up enough in the engine and lubriacating the parts properly leads to scoring of some of the parts, which in turn, can lead to eventual engine failure.

So the lifter tick itself is not an issue, but the low oil pressure is.

On a side note, I picked up my car last week, noticed the lifter tick when I took it in for inspection. On the weekend I brought it into my indy shop and he added some molyslip to the crank case... no more lifter tick for me, even on cold morning starts. (so far)

Obviously the revised engine head would be ideal, but I don't have warranty on the car anymore.

Last edited by jvsxn; 11-24-2011 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 0