Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick335 View Post
Hello fellas,

Just a few quick questions.
How do mid resonators stack up against stock mid(secondary) cats?
Do resonators quite the car down more? less?
Is the performance better with resonators or cats?
Will resonators remove all the drone like the cats do?
Is it worth the hastle performance wise to switch to resonators?

Pitch in.

Thanks
Please keep in mind that I'm talking about my car, so there are sleight differences, but the parts involved are similar and the overall tone is going to be very similar coming from the identical motor. I swapped from the OE N54 mids to Berk resonated/catless mids, I observed the following. Close to no rasp until you clear 4-5K revs under heavy load, personally I'd welcome a bit more rasp, but that's just me. It cut down on drone a good bit, esp. in 6th. The Berks didn't add much volume at all, but refined the tone, more aggressive and less drony/boomy. I noticed better throttle tip in response, but I have no dyno sheet to confirm. IIRC Berk claimed 10 or so whp switching out the midpipes, that sounds optimistic but I'd believe +10whp in conjunction with a better flowing axle back (E8x mufflers are quite restrictive, even that far downstream). I wouldn't do this for power, but IMO resonators are a worthy addition on a car with an aggressive exhaust setup. They mellow out the rasp and drone, while making the overall tone more aggressive and refined. Sometimes I think about going full retard with GThaus straight piped mids, but overall i'm very happy with the resonated Berks. My exhaust is in sig below, obviously my experiences are subjective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggz View Post
It doesn't reduce drone much but it does remove rasp.

You will feel an improvement in throttle response and your butt dyno may improve slightly.

The loudness wont change much. Slightly deeper down low.

Less restrictions is always good for turbos
Id agree with this, generally.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0