View Single Post
      04-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #1168
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Drives: fat cars are still boats
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Not sure if your are serious. From NA (Motorsport) to Turbo to Diesel? You want a Hybrid Diesel Sportscar? And drive a 1M?
I'm glad you have rised this question.

First of all, I'm talking about a turbo diesel engine, obviously. Secondly, I already showed you that the Volkswagen Bluesport with its 180 hp turbo diesel engine is faster, in a meaningful way, than the Toyobaru with its 200 hp from the NA petrol engine. Thirdly, you can easily go from the actual 150 hp figure of the Subaru boxer diesel engine to 180 hp in order to match the Volkswagen Bluesport engine's max. power, since the max. torque is already the same in both engines (coincidentally, the same 258 lb-ft max. torque present in the Alfa Romeo 4c's turbocharged petrol engine).

Now, what is not being told to you is that NOTHING can beat a modern turbocharged diesel engine in terms of performance/fuel economy and emissions ratio when you drive hard, full throttle or whatever, and I mean by a LARGE margin. Forget about hybrids or electric cars... it was already shown in previous posts that the latter do nothing for the carbon footprint if you can't derive electric energy from a 0% CO2 emissions energy source, i.e. nuclear energy (to comply with the actual and future electric energy demand there's no other way available to man for doing it!).

And, that's where the problem begins... although we can see them already in motorsports and winning, THERE IS NO DRIVER'S CAR ON THE MARKET TODAY OFFERING A DIESEL ENGINE OPTION. This would be a great chance for the Toyobaru to be the pioneer since Volkswagen, unexplainable, didn't give green light to the Bluesport.

It's precisely because I own and daily drive a 1M, with now 41000 km on the clock of hard driving, that I'm perfectly aware of what is getting an average fuel consumption of 18-19 l/100 km and paying in average 1.6 € per 1 liter of gasoline. Just do the math and see how much money I have been throwing out of the window till now and every time I startup the 1M's turbocharged petrol engine.

So, the best answer to this is low weight and high low end torque from a turbocharged diesel engine... and if this is not possible then the next best answer is even lower weight and high low end torque from downsized direct petrol injection turbocharged engine, e.g. Alfa Romeo 4c.

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 04-27-2013 at 12:53 PM..
Appreciate 0