94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 BPU Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudoo4u2 View Post
doubt the clear coat will fail, made for this type of application

I cannot imagine the cost of gold leaf on your hood...
agreed, i doubt it will affect the clear coat on your hood. in all honesty, the gold leaf is rarely necessary unless you have ALOT of heat in VERY CLOSE proximity to whatever you're trying to protect. for instance, my brother's 99 M Coupe is in the process of getting a custom PT6262 top mount turbo under the hood, and b/c of space restrictions, we're having to use some gold leaf on the inner fender liner/strut tower:

...as you can plainly see, this turbo is FAR closer to the chassis and the underside of the hood than anything generating that kind of heat in a 135i/335i engine bay, and will also most likely generate far more heat than the small twins on the N54. granted, the exhaust side of the turbo will get heat coated, but we're not taking any chances with the bare chassis under the hood, and so we're protecting the paint with gold leaf. will it affect any of the paint on the exterior of the car? no, not at all.

so you really don't need gold leaf anywhere under the hood of your car. and at $18/sq. ft., i doubt you'll really want to gold leaf the entire underside of your hood - it won't be cheap...in fact it would most likely be a waste of money.