11-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #20
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphiteBastard View Post
good afternoon all, & I hope that you're ready for a great Thanksgiving! I've checked on prices for my car, and it actually bought a differential from BMW of South Atlanta for 1300 dollars. This is about 500 to 600 dollars cheaper than what the dealership was offering here in Washington DC. I've talked with you in the shops and they said that they can do the work for about $800. So this is going to be about a 2000 dollar savings. I've also look for used differentials but could not find any because 335 XI have a very specific unit.I've been told by multiple dealerships that at 65 thousand miles like my car has that there should not be a differential failure. I have done some drag strip runs but not as many as some others. But it's surprising that the differential goes out.please excuse any typos or grammar errors I'm doing the voice to text function on my car
I had the front diff on my E46 330xi go out at around 120K or so (threw a tooth and froze the drivetrain.) IIRC, it was like a $3K repair parts+labor, so you're doing good. At that time (2006? - my car was a 2001), that was only the 2nd that the shop or the forums had heard of - extremely rare.

Couple things to consider:
1) The silly front diff contains less than a pint of lube. I would change it every 30K miles (although that didn't help me!)
2) Replace all the front CVJ rubber bellows coverings - they're going to all be off and they're the weak points of the front axle.
Appreciate 0