View Single Post
      01-16-2015, 02:58 PM   #40
col127
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325XIT

i brought my car into an indy shop today to have this repair done. they fixed it (cost of $200 - $100 for diagnosis, $100 for labour - i could have checked it myself, but i don't have the soldering skills so i figured i'd just bite the bullet and do it), but the gear issue has come on. there is a FE87 code error - failed shift solenoid in the shifter assembly. my car goes into drive no problem from park - the actual 'issue' according to the shop is that i can move the gear selected from park to drive without my foot on the brake. this is a child-lock safety thing...

do you guys think this is still the issue with the PIN not being moved back into the right place? i was hoping they would investigate if the PIN had not be returned back to the post, but the owner was a little difficult to deal with so i just left. thanks for the advice. i might have to take appart the assembly to see...

****UPDATE TO THIS**** i decided to just follow the OP's instructions and take apart the car (totally freaked me out since i don't know anything about cars) to check the post. it was not 'pushed in' - so i pushed it back together and connected everything back together and the gear light is GONE!!!!!

i only screwed one of the screws back into the plastic cover over the solenoid since it was pretty awkward to take them out and i wanted to make sure it actually worked. now that i everything back together, i don't know if i really want to go through all the hassle to put back in those two little screws. any issue if i leave them off? i'm assuming it's no big deal since it's just for the plastic cover?

thanks all! thanks OP for posting this.

Last edited by col127; 01-16-2015 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 0