View Single Post
      02-19-2007, 12:20 AM   #7
im_dave
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: R53 MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo JB View Post
IM_Dave, the Aus market is a very different one to the European market - even the BMW range here is small, with so many models and options missing! I don't think the whole range is oriented at people wanting a sporty car although they are percieved as being for a younger market...It's almost like they market them like this here:

1 series: For those who want the badge but can't afford a 3 series

3 series: The bulk of BMW drivers made up of people from all walks of life...

5: series: Bought by well-healed executives who want to show off their wealth and couldn't care less about the ethos of spirited driving (they only come in auto btw)

6 series: bought as Christmas/birthday gifts for CEO's wifes

7 series: bought by the CEO for himself

I also have to say that I don't see there being much wrong with stuffing a big engine in a small car. AMG make some fantastic cars - Brabus make even better ones - they're all pointless but car ownership isn't all about rationalism.
i like your spin on the aussie market re typical bmw owners... though if i were a ceo, i'd buy a 6 for myself - m6 guise thankyou very much...!

i agree that not everyone who buys a bmw wants a 'sporty' car - but i think they are more 'driver focused' vehicles in general - whether people may want that in a car or not is their own decision... and whether people realise that when they buy a bmw, i'm not so sure. but engineering wise it shows, mercedes and bmw are very different.

big engines in small cars has been tried and tested, i agree... but having a 200kg 5 litre v8 overhanging the front of a small car like a slk surely detracts from the cars dynamics...? i would prefer a lighter, more high-tech engine that didn't impose such hefty weight penalties ala 130i, as you would know.

but bmw a poor man's merc? not at all.

different brands, different philosphies.

yes, and i do realise that this is a rather contentious issue...!
Appreciate 0