View Single Post
      11-05-2011, 12:44 AM   #21
BlueElectrin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
Can't say that I had any trouble with my old Blizzak LM-22s on a '09 335i xdrive. Calgary is funny that way -- it's often very dry, with little snow, so really soft tires will wear quickly. Highway driving (of which I do a lot in the winter in the mountains) is different. Typically, the snow is low as the #1 is generally pretty well cleared -- and the LM-22s were terrific there, and on the Coke, especially on the ice.

While in BC I also had no trouble with the 'performance winters' in snow -- now to be fair, it was rarely over 6". True winters may be considerably better there.

All in all, I think it is a combination of driver and car that makes driving in the winter 'work'. (I drove all one winter in Calgary on summers, on a RWD 328i....)

Just gotta pick one and try!
I'll agree with you that snows gets clear quickly in Calgary. It's really the hard-packed snow and black ice that I'm worried about. And these are plenty in Calgary.

For example, last year I took a course at SAIT over the winter semester, and the small hill between the ctrain station and student centre was icy pretty much the whole winter (saw a few mustangs fish-tailing their way up the hill), and this is a pretty well traveled path and gets clean often.

For me the added grip on ice is worth the sacrifice in performance, but that's just me though. Performance winter will work great for 99% of the situation, but personally I'd like to plan for the 1% "oh $hit" moments.
Appreciate 0