02-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #37
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade146 View Post
What happened to yours timbo, did it actually stop ?
It's a long story , I did a thread on it a few months back . Thudding and banging , safe mode all sorts. Main one was a sensation of doing 70 mph and the car putting the box into 1st gear. ( Somewhere it really didn't want to go) and the awful sensation of immense pressure and forces being generated just below where I was sat.

Having come out the other end from this experience, i'm still not entirely convinced it was the box at fault , more some after-market HID angel eye POS from a certain place in the U.S that was generating huge amounts of interference with the cheap Chinese ballasts which interfered with the gearbox signalling .

I still have my old box and need it tested to prove either way. New sourced box have had no issues with but that's because I removed this after-market lighting system so util I can get this box onto a rig somewhere I won't be able to say for sure if the box is dead.

Searching for a box took nearly 2 months to source one and I mean i looked everywhere. The only one available that matched the pre mar07 changeover was from Sweden, that had 140k miles on it , by that point i was desperate and willing to purchase it for £1400 + £500 shipping and when I came to buy it someone else beat me to it.
I did source one from a scrapper in the end with 30k miles on it and it was a huge gamble that thankfully paid off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmallwo View Post
Surely a scrappy in the UK would have a box from an 06 car? could be from another car that had the same zf...26 box, 535d maybe.
This is the problem , they are rocking horse shit , early 335d boxes do not use canbus protocol and therefore are limited to a production run of about 5 or 6 months on the old protocol. Probably 4 or 500 cars sold. Being 7 years ago a large majority would have been binned by now leaving only a few hundred left. A majority of mileage on these cars are going to be approaching the 100k. So the only option is to go a refurb which is £3k +

IIRC 5 series boxes are not the same either.

I suppose they still do pop up every now and again , it's just having your box fail at the right time if you know what I mean !
Appreciate 0