View Single Post
      03-20-2010, 03:02 AM   #29
Andy M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive

Well, I haven't had my jack for too long so I can't really comment in terms of leaking hydraulic fluid but for me it seems ok. And yes, they look like the same jacks but the Costco site has bad ratings, the CT site has good ones.

In my opinion though, I would NOT get this jack unless having a lightweight jack is something you need. If you have your own garage, where you can stow a heavier low floor jack, it's better to get something else. This jack needs a lot of pumps to fully raise the arm. My other jack (which I just sold today) is a 3.5 ton Michelin Speedy Jack.

The 3.5 ton Michelin jack is much heavier at 97 lbs (which is why I had to sell it - moving to a condo in Toronto) but the construction is much more solid. Also, it only takes 3 pumps to reach its maximum height of 22".

The Motomaster jack requires something like two dozen pumps. Also, it can't handle as much weight so if you were to do something later which required more lift, you'd need a new jack. So to actually raise your car, the Motomaster jack takes longer than the Michelin. However, the fact that the jack is so light is the draw (meaning it's portable).

Anyway that's just my opinion on the jack. I have the Motomaster aluminum racing jack now but it's mostly because I really need something that is light. Otherwise, I'd probably stay with my 3.5 ton Michelin jack. Most of the price for the Motomaster jack is from more expensive material (aluminum vs painted steel).
Appreciate 0