08-13-2011, 12:12 PM   #26
garek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipit View Post
Well the V8 R8 tranmission is not a dual clutch transmission. It is been widely reported the original single clutch R tronic tranny is terrible. Spy shots have been taken of Audi testing V10 R8 with dual clutch.

Too bad they didn't have the R8 with the manual gated shifter.

Very weird you found it numb. As I have never read a single bad review about steering feeling numb.
Thanks for the info about the R8 transmission. That clearly explains why it was so bad.

As far as the steering, it was precise. I just didn't get any feedback from the road. With the Ferraris and my M3 for that matter, you get a lot more information from the wheel.

The R8 is pretty easy to drive and has very balanced handling, and maybe that's why nobody has said anything about the numb steering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
I would think going from a 458 or a scud to a R8 that would make the R8 not feel as good.. Especially the 458 the handling is crazy fast.
True, but the difference was SOOO big.

I track my M3 fairly regularly, and I've got to say that I would take the M3 any day over the R8. Even if they were priced the same, I would still take the M3.

IMO, the R8 is just not that great. My friend, who also drove the R8 that day, was also surprised at how underwhelming it was.