View Single Post
      05-21-2009, 12:06 PM   #78
brianhn1
Slow Mo
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post

2. more boost definitely does not equal more power. Timing seems to play a much more critical role in the car. I have deduced this from the 100s of drag strip passes I have made. Turning up the boost can definitely lose power as timing is being pulled. I think the JB is running less boost up top, at least that is what I gathered when I raced Brianhn1. Granted I was on an old stage 3 race gas map (I'm stage 1, non-canbus) so this is prob not a fair comparison, but I was holding boost to redline and his car was dropping boost from 17 to 13 psi. I was holding about 16. I'm sure my car was pulling massive timing up high, causing my trap speeds to be lower. (I did trap the same as him one pass, but my car was inconsistent. I think that shows the car pulls timing sometimes, and that one time didn't even though I held boost to redline).
I was one of BMS' beta testers and tested my N54 through various revisions before the final release of 1.3.

Interesting to note is that the race map I used against you was the very first beta race map converted to 1.3 specifications. It was a crude version that went through quite a few boost table revisions, IAT tapering changes, didn't have lagfix, and didn't have the upper end power that the final 1.3 has much more of. A few weeks after our race, I had gone to Gainesville using a revised 1.3 with most of the changes except without lagfix and had lower low-end torque. Oddly, I said to Terry that my boost was much lower (14.5-15 psi max) than I expected but I was assured by him that it can vary much more depending on conditions. I trapped 116+mph with that version. Then a month or so later armed with a race map with lagfix (finally), in much warmer conditions (DA of 1380), I went back to Gainesville and trapped 114 (except of course with DPs and DCI). I'm sure the race map now is much different than what I tested against you and maybe I'll have to do a rematch some time to compare the difference.

Appreciate 0