Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMidd View Post
Ha, it amuses me because it's freakin' Woodley Park. I mean, I regularly see 6-7 BMWs in my neighborhood, including two living in my building. Hardly "crime ridden" or anything. The numbers indicated the comprehensive was the issue, way higher than in VA or elsewhere. So they must assume there will be a lot of vandalism/theft, as opposed to accidents. It's not like I live in Adams Morgan...
You haven't lived in the city for long. There is a tremendous number of "theft from auto" crimes in the high-traffic areas of the city (Woodley, Dupont, Cleveland Park, downtown, Foggy Bottom, Georgetown, and so on) -- broken windows to get something sitting on your seats (iPod, CDs, cell phones, ...). Mostly this happens to cars parked on the street, but also to cars parked behind houses in alleys or in parking lots near busy streets like Conn Ave. There's also a lot more auto theft in the city than you realize, but I doubt anyone would steal a Bimmer because I understand they're difficult to steal.

FWIW, I lived in the city 8 years and I never knew anyone who had his car stolen. I knew TONS of people who had their cars broken into, some had it happen multiple times. Never happened to me. Lucky.