View Single Post
      11-17-2009, 03:52 PM   #160
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by discs4sale View Post
I previously wrote the following post but I have now switched back to BSW Stage 1 for my 2008 E60 (non L7) and probably wait for the BSW amp when it becomes available for cleaner power although the OEM amp seemed to do "fine" with the BSWs. After discussing directly with Micah to help out my situation, I came to believe that something else possibly limiting the sound quality of my sound system. You see guys, I listen primarily to iPod (uncompressed AIFF format) that connects to the BMW factory USB/AUX IN module inside the armrest compartment. When I finally decided to put a CD into the head unit and compared it to the AIFF playback from iPod, there was a significant high frequency rolloff (to my ears) through the AUX IN port. To cut to the chase without going through all my experiments and reasoning, I removed two filtering caps inside the AUX IN module that was filtering the sound and probably put in to protect the BMW stereo from high frequency brightness on MP3 players that would damage speakers if the volume was cranked up, etc. I am now enjoying my BSW Stage 1 since fixing the real problem with the BMW AUX IN implementation. BSW adds more mid-bass to fill in the hole left by the factory midranges and the tweeters cleans up the treble and match the sensitivity of BSW midranges.

I guess no speaker or amp replacement would have taken care of the iPod issue until the AUX IN is taken care.

Thanks Micah.

http://forums.5series.net/index.php?showtopic=89170
The HiFi OEM amp in your 5 Series powers only the underseat woofers (2-ch). The rest of the speakers are powered by the M-ASK/iDrive unit (4-ch). An OEM amp upgrade in your 5 Series will involve adding those 6 signals together to create a full signal and then a de-EQ processor will be required to flatten that response if you really want to get rid of any OEM EQ curve.

This is not the same HiFi system as in the 1- or 3-Series.
Appreciate 0