View Single Post
      01-14-2014, 08:36 PM   #20
DLang706
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i and BMW 328Xi

Thanks for the responses!

I have done a lot more digging on the bulb issue. First of all, all of the lights on the car ARE working. So that leads me to believe that it is either a short in the electrical system, or moisture in one of the lamps. Does moisture cause faults to go off? Looking in the service manual the first notification I am receiving is the yellow low beam/ fog light warning. Which, as the manual says, means that either a fog light or low beam is about to fail. Than the red service lift appears. Looking in the book the red service lift can mean "lighting system failure: low beams tail lamps and brake lamps still operational. All other lamps fail" Sounds pretty close to what I am experiencing. I have talked to a BMW service tech who is a friend and he thinks it is most likely just a wiring issue.

While looking around the passenger headlight area I noticed an unplugged capped cable with three holes in it. Can you guys check to see if you have this? Talking with the tech he thought it may be a hood sensor that was an option on the E90, but he wasn't sure. I can't figure out where it would plug in, but maybe it is related.

In order to do the secret menu service reset I have to turn off the headlights so that the indications will stop. As soon as I reset the indications I turn the lights back on and the error pops right back up.

I understand that these purchases seem stupid, but they were heavily discounted vehicles sold AS IS, so there isn't really much that can be done. I will say that the dealer told us that service engine soon was not a check engine light, but rather just a filter notification, so that's why that was disregarded. As for the electrical issue on the other, I'm not really worried about it. The notifications are annoying but the car is in great condition otherwise, and I am confident that we will be able to fix it.

Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0